Skip to main content

WE CANNOT SEPARATE WHAT LEADERS ARE DOING FROM HOW THEY ARE DOING IT.


A LOOK AT REVIEWING LEADERSHIP BOOK. 
Reviewing the leadership book the 2nd edition Christian evaluation of current approaches By Bernice m, Ledbetter, Robert j, Banks and David C. Greenhalgh forwarded by Max de and Published by Baker Academic.
THESIS
 A leader’s convictions shape their views and practices of leadership and their responses to contemporary culture.
SUMMARY.  

The book deals with different leadership theories and critiques their ideas through the lens of theology. It is a summary of academic approaches and concrete experiences, as much as it is a fruit of biblical investigations real-life reflections of the writer’s leadership learning and experience.
He looks at how some leadership Gurus have let their faith drive their approach to leadership. Paul the apostle is one example they look at and examine. After spending time in the word which they say presents a “normative and determined Christian view of leadership” they describe how others of the Christian faith approach leadership.
LESSONS
It was interesting to look at the aspect of leadership as influence, the relationship among leaders and followers who intend real changes that reflect their mutual purposes. Joseph Rost emphasizes on followers being active participants in leadership. The focus moves from the leader to their followers and finally the culture within which leadership is exercised. Because leadership doesn’t work in a vacuum rather than within a specific context.
Servant leadership is God's centered and involves articulating, embodying and enacting God’s vision, heart, and will for his people. This is well demonstrated by God’s dealing with humankind and dealing with them as a shepherd Psalms 23. A great reminder of what our posture must be as we pursue servant leadership.
The difference between management and leadership was very enlightening; One thing that stood out for me was that management provides order and consistency to an organization while leadership produces change and movement. For the first time in my life, I get to confirm that I am a leader and not a manager. Worth noting though both are needed for any organization since leadership is shared and not a one-man show.
Great metaphors found here, my favorites:
 A leader of faith must be like a parent who guides, a physician who heals and a teacher who facilitates learning,” this emphasizes that it's not just about what the leader does.
“Leadership is not only about proclamation it is also listening”. “What is important and necessary can be heard”. Coming from the hierarchy type of leadership I appreciate hearing that and reminding myself that as a leader I should be able to listen to people. 
“The the greatness of a leader is not measured by how well a leader is a follower of God”, It is not just the relationship with God that matters but also how the leader’s relationship with God affects the relationship to the culture and the environment in which leadership is exercised. 
I surely could not agree more on the idea that if it's going to be servant leadership it got to be spiritual, there is a spiritual dimension in leadership. “Leaders with spiritual depth and ethical sensitivity are more likely to create organizations characterized as benevolent and virtuous”.
I desired more that they went beyond the traditional influencers they began with the Bible which provides the normative the yardstick for investigating all major aspects of belief and life including leadership.
True ethical leadership, true value-based leading derives from a deep sense of spiritual consciousness and such sustains an organization. This explains to me what determines the rise and fall of most organizations.
Russ Moxley’s influenced by Palmer Parker deals with most Christian workers dispirited lives and suggests that they are not just to inspire but also inspiriting. His solution is that “We must learn to be our true selves and our whole selves. This enables me to be human as I lead. The experience of the spirit within comes in times of renewal integration and vitality. The experience of spirit between people occurs in the moment of honoring others treating them as ends rather than as means and that’s why I believe it’s more than being a follower of Christ. I support Brown in his argument that the cultivation of one’s spirit is central to leadership and is intricately connected to a relationship with God and others. It's not something out there but something that proceeds from a spirit-filled center.
 Patricia La Barre argues that the basic defect in current views of leadership is the neglect of character-building conversations. What are the possibilities that leaders like me want to change? The change we refer to is of habits relating to how I think, value and manage frustrations and act. Indeed Posey is right when he says, “character counts!” the inner life of a leader must be therefore developed to prepare the outer expression of leadership.
Being a founder of a mission agency it as great to learn that “organizations possess an inherent divine foundation”.
I found Laura Beth’s approach very individualistic and not looking outward but inward “I shape my own destiny, what I believe I become, what I become I can do”
Clinton’s approach considers that the Bible is not the only resource and that it doesn’t speak directly to all issues of leadership, I wonder what he means? The word of God is sufficient and helps us solve issues of every sphere of life. I also don’t understand what he means by “when it speaks there is freedom since it gives general ideas”. I suppose that there is a yardstick in scripture for Christian leadership practice.
It's intriguing to hear that “women are slightly better at showing transformational leadership because they know how to perceive the motivations, thoughts, and feelings of others.” Surely this explains a lot of things to be a Woman leader working amidst men. 
 Indeed, faith-driven female leaders will seek ways to transform systems so that diversity is recognized honored and celebrated” (redemptive work of faith-based leadership.
What then is the importance of wisdom in leadership? “Wisdom is the ability to size up a situation quickly and to act decisively, it's not afraid of complexity and ambiguity, it continues to learn from experience and lives out what it discovers with integrity and care.”
The explanation of integrity not being a skill but something organic (not something but someone) was enlightening.
Eugene Peterson pus it very well when he says, “leadership is not a skill although it employs skills, it’s the way of living that suffuses everything we do, and we are.” So, we can’t separate what the leader is doing from the way they are doing it.
“Developing a leader begins with developing their inner life.” This development is a process of increasing self-knowledge and self-awareness of one’s strengths and challenges, blind spots and cravings, thus increasing their capacity, while leadership development can be thought as inclusive to the team, organization, and community.
I never viewed leadership as a journey through the process of developing a particular area of expertise, so I struggled with this concept as argued here.
In pursuit of spiritual development Palmer recommends that leaders must learn to sit in solitude and community exploring not strategies and tactics but their own lives.
The need for a better more faith-informed leaders at the senior board level to make strategic decisions switched on a light in my mind, yet even at such a level, one must be a role model.
A new concept of leadership was introduced to me and am keen on learning more about it “Christian shared leadership”.
 In closing this book, we find leadership through faithfulness and service. They go a step forward and further present Christian case studies of a few who have lived the lives of leadership. We get offered a slightly more in-depth look at the lives of those whose “Christian” faith was integrated with their style of leadership.
The writers in my suggestions needed to do more pointing of the readers to Jesus Christ for who he is not just his moral behavior. I don’t see one clear definitive sentence of Christ for who he is in influencing our leadership. To develop a comprehensive biblical theology of leadership, one must draw on the person and the work of Christ. I longed for more of that.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is with you Behind the boat? When its mid life is it Crisis time?

Does life really begin at 40?   If So, what does one do in  their first 39 years?  Are they just rehearsing?  What about the midlife crisis?  Does it exist, and if it does, is it only for women, just men, and at what exact age does it happen? Now that it is only a few days before I turn 40 years old, join me as I reflect more on it. Elliott Jacques, who introduced the term mid-life crisis, defines it as to " pause from actively pursuing one's goals and review their achievements, take stock of what they have and have not yet accomplished, at times taking drastic measures to fulfill their dreams." He further argues that critical phases characterize the change of point periods of rapid transitions in individuals' development. What is wrong with pausing, I wonder? My Crisis: behind the boat with storms.  At around 35years, a transition begins to happen to individuals termed as a midlife crisis. He admits that the time will vary, though, among individuals. The cris

How God Rescued Me: I am surely on Assignment By and With Him.

Blogged 10 years ago!! New pics just!! 12 YEARS AGO NOW SINCE GOD SAVED ME FROM A FATAL ACCIDENT. WATCHED 13 PERISH AS I GOT RESCUED.  I will not forget the faithfulness of the Lord. I will narrate this to generations and generations, and I will praise Him for He is mighty to save. Why do I say that? It's now 12 years this month since this happened. I traveled from Uganda, where I lived, to Kenya to visit my parents and I had a safe trip, and we had a 4 days reunion with my family. I was ready to return back to my husband.  On my way, as always, I visited a couple friends (The Kushites) who, after a long chat, prayed for my trip.   After entering a Taxi/ Matatu (public transportation) 14 Sitter, I found myself interceding and pleading for safety in prayer to God.  There was only one seat left behind, and since I was in a hurry, I agreed to sit behind with two old men. I started looking for a safety belt and was convinced I needed to tighten one. (Mind you, this wasn't a norm th

LOVE IMMIGRANTS -CROSS-CULTURAL MARRIAGE.

“Am not Right; you are not wrong” we are just different. “Will you marry me?” after prayer and thoughts, my answer is Yes. While we are in Norway, Africa is just ‘one country,’ and Uganda and Kenya are ‘neighboring districts.’ As we leave Europe, we are sure we want to try this, and our song is “No mountain is too high, no valley too low.” On reaching Kenya, Africa's reality as a continent meets me, and Uganda as a neighboring country mile apart hits me. Anyway, we had promised each other that if love can stand the distance, we will go for it. Long-distance Dating I receive a phone call +256, and it's my Boyfriend but guess what, as soon as we talk for a few minutes, it's off. Ohhh, we are calling across networks in different countries; it’s an international call! Oops. Well, MTN had an offer of 99%, but you could only get it at that price from 2.00-4.00 am. So, change of sleeping system everyday date with my Ugandan boyfriend 3.00-4.30 am. We must go to work b