Skip to main content

What if it's Safer Without a Mask. A young artist Illustrates

UNMASKING 


A  10-year-old Artist: Roy Edube's illustration. 

Rushingly he dashed to my desk, holding a newly done art piece. Directly looks into my eyes, with less excitement but pausing thoughtfully. Mum, this is me! Seven months ago Roy says. My face was open, and people could see my facial expressions. Even my teeth!







Suddenly a new way of life was brought by COVID 19, and we all have to mask up. You no longer can be real! You smile wide but people don't see. 






Behind this mask is a brave, silly, strong, smart Roy. "Masks cover so much of who we are," mum. 











 He hurriedly runs out to catch the next online class.  Roy's illustration, through his art piece, was very intriguing.







Lately, I have stopped smiling when I meet people because my efforts are in vain; they do not see the smile unless I pull it to the level of my eyes. Days get longer for me when I have to be on a mask I can hardly breathe.

Well, truth be told I miss my lipgloss/stick.


Are there times in our lives, we survive on masks? What people see of us is not who we really are? Have you ever presented a different you to others? or do we have masks that give us a different image far from who we really are? Masks distort the images of who we are. They hinder people from truly recognizing who we are, and that way, people are not able to know how to love us and meet our needs. They present a fake version of who we are!

Sometimes behind those masks are human efforts and desires to please people and God. We put on masks labeled who we are not. The motives and intentions behind the masks are so we have a right standing with people and God (self-righteousness).

What about if we trust God to deal with our ugly hidden identities behind the masks? What if we trusted that God loved us no matter how messed up we are? Furthermore, when we come to Him He is interested in walking with us and clothes us with His righteousness?

Sometimes working it out looks real than trusting the Lord to help renovate us. sustaining the hard work and the masks is such a hard task.

What shape is my mask?


The authors of TrueFaced by John Lynch, Bruce McNicol, and Bill Thrall talk about three groups of masks – one is the "doing fine" folks who hide behind shallowness and avoidance of intimacy; another is the "fixers" who go hunting from one technique to the next to solve what they sense is wrong or not working, and the third they call the "pedigreed masks" which are masks anchored in self-righteousness or performance.


These masks we put on prevent very many people from considering this path with God because we make it look impossible, impractical, and unachievable. The truth is that it is achievable. Our God can handle each fear, sin, and rottenness that we hide behind those masks.

As we read these thoughts, lets kindly look into our lives and UNMASK.




I encourage every reader to use a mask physically and stay safe as we work through this pandemic.


Then Bernice decided to also join the challenge. 



END. 




 

Comments

  1. wow Gillian....Open your eyes wide and you will see that beyond the masks is a world of so many possibilities. I love the angle to which you have unmasked this truth. Thumbs up to the upcoming artists. slowly they help us relate with the realities of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God speaks in amazing ways, it could be actually possible to miss God speaking to you through Roy's drawings. It's interesting how he teaches his people. Even through "small things"
    May I never miss him, in every second of my day. #No masks. Thanks to my Roy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..a very good reminder there...to be real...some one once said if you work hard to be someone else...who will be you?
    Thanks aunt Gill for this beautiful article.
    Thanks to my dear Roy and Bernice for wonderful art work.
    May the good Lord continue to nurture and grow Roy's art gift and continue to use it to bless many. Sylvia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who is with you Behind the boat? When its mid life is it Crisis time?

Does life really begin at 40?   If So, what does one do in  their first 39 years?  Are they just rehearsing?  What about the midlife crisis?  Does it exist, and if it does, is it only for women, just men, and at what exact age does it happen? Now that it is only a few days before I turn 40 years old, join me as I reflect more on it. Elliott Jacques, who introduced the term mid-life crisis, defines it as to " pause from actively pursuing one's goals and review their achievements, take stock of what they have and have not yet accomplished, at times taking drastic measures to fulfill their dreams." He further argues that critical phases characterize the change of point periods of rapid transitions in individuals' development. What is wrong with pausing, I wonder? My Crisis: behind the boat with storms.  At around 35years, a transition begins to happen to individuals termed as a midlife crisis. He admits that the time will vary, though, among individuals. The cris

LOVE IMMIGRANTS -CROSS-CULTURAL MARRIAGE.

“Am not Right; you are not wrong” we are just different. “Will you marry me?” after prayer and thoughts, my answer is Yes. While we are in Norway, Africa is just ‘one country,’ and Uganda and Kenya are ‘neighboring districts.’ As we leave Europe, we are sure we want to try this, and our song is “No mountain is too high, no valley too low.” On reaching Kenya, Africa's reality as a continent meets me, and Uganda as a neighboring country mile apart hits me. Anyway, we had promised each other that if love can stand the distance, we will go for it. Long-distance Dating I receive a phone call +256, and it's my Boyfriend but guess what, as soon as we talk for a few minutes, it's off. Ohhh, we are calling across networks in different countries; it’s an international call! Oops. Well, MTN had an offer of 99%, but you could only get it at that price from 2.00-4.00 am. So, change of sleeping system everyday date with my Ugandan boyfriend 3.00-4.30 am. We must go to work b

How God Rescued Me: I am surely on Assignment By and With Him.

Blogged 10 years ago!! New pics just!! 12 YEARS AGO NOW SINCE GOD SAVED ME FROM A FATAL ACCIDENT. WATCHED 13 PERISH AS I GOT RESCUED.  I will not forget the faithfulness of the Lord. I will narrate this to generations and generations, and I will praise Him for He is mighty to save. Why do I say that? It's now 12 years this month since this happened. I traveled from Uganda, where I lived, to Kenya to visit my parents and I had a safe trip, and we had a 4 days reunion with my family. I was ready to return back to my husband.  On my way, as always, I visited a couple friends (The Kushites) who, after a long chat, prayed for my trip.   After entering a Taxi/ Matatu (public transportation) 14 Sitter, I found myself interceding and pleading for safety in prayer to God.  There was only one seat left behind, and since I was in a hurry, I agreed to sit behind with two old men. I started looking for a safety belt and was convinced I needed to tighten one. (Mind you, this wasn't a norm th