Skip to main content

Am Not An End To My Own Education, Only a Vessel For God's Purposes.

 Journal Entry: 8th May 2021

Topic: Am Not an End to My Education. 

What is happening?


I am sitting in front of Blanchard building 😒, the oldest building at Wheaton College facing the Billy Graham Center, waiting to check in for my Graduation that was supposed to be in 2020. 

I am graduating today with an MA. Intercultural studies. 

Breathtaking; a green serene environment with beautiful flowers and birds singing as if indeed Christ is present here and listening in. 


How do I feel? That excitement that makes you drip tears as you think about how far the Lord has brought you. Tears of joy as I look back and see how much I have grown. I look at the indicators, and yes, I know I have been transformed.

 My heart is so full and feeling so blessed, and I overflow in praises to the Lord Halleluya. 

 I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart;
    I will tell of all your wonderful deeds. Psalms 9:1

Why Surely?
Seven Years  🔙 as I transited from student ministry to Mission mobilization and training, I sensed that I needed to further my knowledge. This whole idea was about a passion that had been born and developed over time.  

 I told God how I felt and my desire to expand my knowledge and get more skills. 
Aware that He is the one who qualifies me, I waited for His timing. But I was sensing the area that God wanted me to venture into. 


After much prayer and seeking counsel from my husband, colleagues, and mentors, I started my application process(long and tedious)to Wheaton College Graduate School. It also required lots of finances, so lots of sacrifices were made. And Yeah, I was admitted for MA Intercultural studies-my dream course, it was a hybrid course.

I started preparing to fly in for a week and fly back to Uganda to do online. Four weeks before my flight, I received an email that said that they were no longer going to offer online, and I needed to either
1. Drop the idea and not study. 😓
2. Move to the USA and study. 😏
3. Change to another course. 👹

When did the mountain move? 
I sadly opted for the first one. But Mr. Edube, my partner in the adventure of life😍, said to me," I don't know you for that"? I knelt down and said to God, "If you want us taking this option, then there are going to be mountains to be moved and valleys to be filled up."

 How could we even possibly move in three weeks? Who is God? 👌 He really opened every single door that needed to be open, including expedited visas. 

"I blame father Abraham for mentoring me to keep moving to the unknown" 

That marked the beginning of three weeks of winding up a whole family and moving to a foreign land for studies. Sounds weird, but we are fine doing that!!

My journey is described in a previous post (here). Thankful for a smooth transition. 


Today I get to walk up and get to be hooded by my Professor Dr. Moreau and with a big smile on my face because. As he hooded me, he said, "Mungu akubariki," which is the Swahili version of God bless you.

Oh, what a special thing. 

God called me out upon much waters,
with too much unknown
I must say my feet were failing
But I found you in the mystery "behind the boat." 

Your grace was sufficient.
In oceans deep, my faith grew
though many waves, I kept my gaze on you, Jesus 
The oceans rose so much(Covid 19, Conflicts without)
My soul rested only in your embrace.

My trust grew without borders. 
I walked upon the waters.
You walked me deeper than my feet could ever wander 
My faith surely grew stronger 
Behind the boat with you.
listen here 

I am sitting right here behind the boat.
I still hear you calling me, and Hey Gillian, your girl on assignment, her answer remains Yes Lord. I sing loud to the song here... click this piece.

"Now in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver but also of wood and clay, some for honorable use, some for dishonorable. Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work"2nd Timothy 2:20.

I don't consider myself a golden vessel but am encouraged that my availability is what matters here since I am cleansed. 
With Who?
Special thanks go to 
a)My husband Rob Rob- He is always stirring me to fulfill God's dreams and is very aware of how different my race is from his and supports me.
b)My two babies-Roy and Bernice, who have known what it means to schedule playtime and lay hands on me. Roy is missing in this Pic. He had another meeting to attend to.
c)My mentor- she played a huge role in listening well, praying me up, and supporting this journey. Thanks, Ama. Remember, I will pay forward. 
d)My professors, Dr.Greener, Dr. Moreau, Dr.Gallagher who surely played a huge role in helping me discover who I am and my role as a scholar-practitioner. 
e)Billy Graham for a huge scholarship offered - Billy Graham's legacy lives on, and I am so thankful. Thanks, April and Wanchen, and Mary, for walking with me.


f)My cohort: I will miss you big time.
So what now?
I have received a new assignment from God, and I am starting another journey of faith, and yes, I am already loving and trusting the process. 

Watch out for the product in a couple of years. 

Comments

  1. Always an encouragement. The passion is undisputable. May God bless you and use you in this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bwana asifiwe! And amen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so encouraged, this is a great testimony if faith.
    I continue to admire you and pray that God will keep you steadfast in Him.
    In the next steps, I pray you find rest in God.....Rejoice in Him

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who is with you Behind the boat? When its mid life is it Crisis time?

Does life really begin at 40?   If So, what does one do in  their first 39 years?  Are they just rehearsing?  What about the midlife crisis?  Does it exist, and if it does, is it only for women, just men, and at what exact age does it happen? Now that it is only a few days before I turn 40 years old, join me as I reflect more on it. Elliott Jacques, who introduced the term mid-life crisis, defines it as to " pause from actively pursuing one's goals and review their achievements, take stock of what they have and have not yet accomplished, at times taking drastic measures to fulfill their dreams." He further argues that critical phases characterize the change of point periods of rapid transitions in individuals' development. What is wrong with pausing, I wonder? My Crisis: behind the boat with storms.  At around 35years, a transition begins to happen to individuals termed as a midlife crisis. He admits that the time will vary, though, among individuals. The cris

How God Rescued Me: I am surely on Assignment By and With Him.

Blogged 10 years ago!! New pics just!! 12 YEARS AGO NOW SINCE GOD SAVED ME FROM A FATAL ACCIDENT. WATCHED 13 PERISH AS I GOT RESCUED.  I will not forget the faithfulness of the Lord. I will narrate this to generations and generations, and I will praise Him for He is mighty to save. Why do I say that? It's now 12 years this month since this happened. I traveled from Uganda, where I lived, to Kenya to visit my parents and I had a safe trip, and we had a 4 days reunion with my family. I was ready to return back to my husband.  On my way, as always, I visited a couple friends (The Kushites) who, after a long chat, prayed for my trip.   After entering a Taxi/ Matatu (public transportation) 14 Sitter, I found myself interceding and pleading for safety in prayer to God.  There was only one seat left behind, and since I was in a hurry, I agreed to sit behind with two old men. I started looking for a safety belt and was convinced I needed to tighten one. (Mind you, this wasn't a norm th

LOVE IMMIGRANTS -CROSS-CULTURAL MARRIAGE.

“Am not Right; you are not wrong” we are just different. “Will you marry me?” after prayer and thoughts, my answer is Yes. While we are in Norway, Africa is just ‘one country,’ and Uganda and Kenya are ‘neighboring districts.’ As we leave Europe, we are sure we want to try this, and our song is “No mountain is too high, no valley too low.” On reaching Kenya, Africa's reality as a continent meets me, and Uganda as a neighboring country mile apart hits me. Anyway, we had promised each other that if love can stand the distance, we will go for it. Long-distance Dating I receive a phone call +256, and it's my Boyfriend but guess what, as soon as we talk for a few minutes, it's off. Ohhh, we are calling across networks in different countries; it’s an international call! Oops. Well, MTN had an offer of 99%, but you could only get it at that price from 2.00-4.00 am. So, change of sleeping system everyday date with my Ugandan boyfriend 3.00-4.30 am. We must go to work b