Skip to main content

BOOK REVIEW
THE WAY OF THE HEART -DESERT SPIRITUALITY AND CONTEMPORARY MINISTRY.
HENRI J.M. NOUWEN- SEABURY PRESS.
Henry invites us to search deeply for the well-springs that nourish true ministry by looking to the example of the fifth-century Egyptian desert fathers and mothers. Their experiences teach us to find a place for Solitude, Silence, and prayer. 
“The the thesis of this book is the way God’s people find Him through their hearts producing an overflow to every sphere of their lives.” Henry’s major message is to move us beyond what seems forbidding about the three disciplines “Solitude, silence and prayer” by pointing us toward the “the way of the heart”, which then overflows into the way we relate with others and live our contemporary spiritual life.
In this book, I found very profound truths about the three disciplines.
1.     Solitude:
 We are living in busy days where we don’t find time to rest or ponder over the things we do or even think., and this leads to fabricated outward lives. Underneath the fabrication lies internal compulsions that we can’t run away from. its in Solitude that we get transformed and deal with both compulsions and encounter the loving God.
We learn that solitude is neither a time and place where we are not bothered by people, nor is it a place where we go to recharge and gather new strength, otherwise in such a place we would only physically avoid distractions, but still have internal compulsions pressing us, Solitude is a place where Christ remodels us to his own image as we lead others who are seeking the light there. It’s a place of conversion where our old self dies, and we get a new self. It sounds like spiritual transformation.
This makes it far beyond our strength and skills but only in Christ, we can achieve solitude. In our daily life’s solitude means that even if like the desert fathers we do not go to the desert we develop our own desert where we can withdraw every day and have intimate encounters which will translate to fruitful ministry. Simply said When solitude has happened and there is transformation there must be outward expressions that are seen and one of them is compassion which is a fruit of solitude and basis for our ministry. Compassion means that our hearts are turned from the heart of stone into flesh until we don’t just die to self but even to neighbors. I found that concept very new but profound because in order to serve others we must die to them by giving up comparing ourselves to others and giving up measuring our meaning and value with others. When we use other people as yardsticks the classifications, we get influences from other people into our thoughts deeply and we, therefore, fall into self-fulfilling and create self-limits which make us not available for people.
 In solitude a self-righteous person is molded into a gentle caring forgiving

person who is deeply aware of their own sin and aware of God's great mercy. Solitude moves us to not only doing but being and  I learned that more than the act the transformation needs to be seen in my being.
It's more than the things I do but who I am and who I am becoming in Christ.
The way to make solitude a reality is by Silence.  
2.     Silence
This is silence practiced in action.
Being surrounded by a wordy world how can our words reflect the divine word in and through whom the world has been created and redeemed. Indeed, words are meant to disclose the mystery of the silence. I agree with him that words are supposed to disclose the mystery of silence. This reminds me of Luke 6 :45 b from the abundance of my heart my mouth speaks. I learned the three aspects of silence: silence makes us pilgrims- a man who controls his tongue is a pilgrim, Henry says that “Not speaking makes us stay away from sin”. Sin is not ended by multiplying words, but the prudent hold their tongues prov 10:19.  I have experienced silent people who have confessed that in the silence they process lots of sin inwardly.  And it makes me think that there is, therefore, a need to deal with what happens inward so that it would be a holy silence. I wonder also with the different personalities that God gifts us where some people can easily keep silent and others it takes more effort. I think that different personalities should be able to speak from the mystery of God that is revealed from the inside. I have been on a journey with trying to be quiet and God has been teaching me that we all have different personalities, but he desires that all personalities can have stillness in him and how I manifest outward is determined by my inner strength. From then I utilize my outgoing personality to speak wisdom and trust God to have more fire to share with people. It takes more intentionality on my part to be silent and know when to speak and hen not to. Both those who struggle to be silent and those who don’t have to make sure that their inner life is in order.  silence guards the fire within and the fire of God in my life is tended here and kept alive in silence. I loved the Vincent van’s quote “there may be a great fire in our soul, yet no one ever comes to warm himself at it, and the passerby only sees a wisp of smoke coming through the chimney and go along their way……….”. How can people experience the heat from the fire within me? The heat from the inside should be felt outward. The more you are involved in speaking in and to people’s life the more you have to guard the fire.  silence teaches us to speak-its from the silence that we speak, and we should not become fearful of it and keep pursuing noise.
How do I practice the ministry of silence?
·       Silence and preaching -I was amazed to see that I should have God's word not just for motivation or encouragement but that as one that creates the boundaries within which people can listen to the loving caring gentle presence of God. Making sure people move from me the preacher to God- meditative preaching. I surely pray that I can practice, and this is something new I would like to practice.
·       Silence and counseling- a reminder that Holy Spirit is the divine counselor, and He is actively present in the lives of those who discern him. As I counsel people, I should bring them to that place of silence so that they can interact with the divine counselor.  It’s very sad to note that people look to us and not God most time and our role should be to point them to the Lord, not to us.

·       Silence and Organizing- As a leader how can I keep people who work under me to become less busy so they can focus on God. I wonder how that balance can be achieved. I think I would desire that the people that work under me are on a spiritual formation and keen to have a daily walk with the Lord and that way they develop a healthy rhythm for themselves. Because keeping people away from being busy does not mean they will focus on God, they must just get more time to chase other things. So, I think my role would be to expose them to the understanding of such a place so it is done from motivation inwardly.
3.     Prayer
Besides Arsenious hearing God say, “be silent” he heard him say “pray always”. If my solitude and silence is without prayer, then I am self-centered, the first two cannot be separated from prayer. Just as observed I usually will know the importance of prayer but fail to practice it.
Prayer is not intellectual though intellect has a place in prayer. successful prayer is one that leads to new intellectual discoveries about God and comes from the heart.
I liked the expression that prayer leads to that rest where the soul can dwell with God. it’s that God enabled a way of stillness where we descend with the mind into the heart and stand before the face of the Lord. The wholeness is s place that I desire to be, where my prayer of truth directs itself to God from my center and thus affecting the whole of my humanness. I am struggling to understand the difference between thinking about God and thinking thoughts about God and his mysteries. The line is so thin that I need to process more.   I learned the three characteristics of prayer: short simple, unceasing and all-inclusive. Prayer is not just talking with God but with God and since its two way I need to hear him. I need to talk to him on every occasion in a simple way.

There is a lot to learn from this book for my ministry.

In my journey of spiritual formation, I must seek solitude and from within and without, I must allow God to enter the most private areas of my life that need dying and receive new life in Christ. I can easily find time alone and practice silence, but my mind can be very crowded, and I am learning from this book how to enter that stillness in my heart which will translate into my outer ministry.
More than the knowledge I get of my need to practice this I want to be able to set apart time and place to be with God every day. Out of this, I made a schedule to have a fixed time to be with the Lord otherwise I will keep doing tasks that are great and gain head knowledge about God but not being with Him.
I am a leader and I have learned that as well as I need to have tasks done I need to ensure people are finding spaces and times where they meet God, I would take this further by ensuring they understand and find God through their hearts then they can have it as a priority whether with heavy tasks or little tasks.
 Allowing the young people that I mentor and counsel to meet God in a personal way where He will transform them, and then it will not be about me but about God- Practicing humility right from now.
I want to be able to give from my heart within and serve from a place of rest and this book has been an encouragement for me.
As a mission mobilizer who is gifted by God, I must take responsibility of the words that come from me to other people, taking time to reflect on what I say why I say it and how I say it. And with my personality, I must intentionally practice solitude and silence in prayer so I can continue having the warmth of God.
As one who speaks Gods word, I have learned reflective preaching and I would like to surely practice this.
I am task-oriented even in ministry and I would desire to move further from my tasks to being. Practicing the things, I preach and talk about is being.

Learning to talk more with God and not talk to God which is what I do often for lack of faith and thoughts that wouldn’t answer or that I would not even hear his voice.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is with you Behind the boat? When its mid life is it Crisis time?

Does life really begin at 40?   If So, what does one do in  their first 39 years?  Are they just rehearsing?  What about the midlife crisis?  Does it exist, and if it does, is it only for women, just men, and at what exact age does it happen? Now that it is only a few days before I turn 40 years old, join me as I reflect more on it. Elliott Jacques, who introduced the term mid-life crisis, defines it as to " pause from actively pursuing one's goals and review their achievements, take stock of what they have and have not yet accomplished, at times taking drastic measures to fulfill their dreams." He further argues that critical phases characterize the change of point periods of rapid transitions in individuals' development. What is wrong with pausing, I wonder? My Crisis: behind the boat with storms.  At around 35years, a transition begins to happen to individuals termed as a midlife crisis. He admits that the time will vary, though, among individuals. The cris

LOVE IMMIGRANTS -CROSS-CULTURAL MARRIAGE.

“Am not Right; you are not wrong” we are just different. “Will you marry me?” after prayer and thoughts, my answer is Yes. While we are in Norway, Africa is just ‘one country,’ and Uganda and Kenya are ‘neighboring districts.’ As we leave Europe, we are sure we want to try this, and our song is “No mountain is too high, no valley too low.” On reaching Kenya, Africa's reality as a continent meets me, and Uganda as a neighboring country mile apart hits me. Anyway, we had promised each other that if love can stand the distance, we will go for it. Long-distance Dating I receive a phone call +256, and it's my Boyfriend but guess what, as soon as we talk for a few minutes, it's off. Ohhh, we are calling across networks in different countries; it’s an international call! Oops. Well, MTN had an offer of 99%, but you could only get it at that price from 2.00-4.00 am. So, change of sleeping system everyday date with my Ugandan boyfriend 3.00-4.30 am. We must go to work b

How God Rescued Me: I am surely on Assignment By and With Him.

Blogged 10 years ago!! New pics just!! 12 YEARS AGO NOW SINCE GOD SAVED ME FROM A FATAL ACCIDENT. WATCHED 13 PERISH AS I GOT RESCUED.  I will not forget the faithfulness of the Lord. I will narrate this to generations and generations, and I will praise Him for He is mighty to save. Why do I say that? It's now 12 years this month since this happened. I traveled from Uganda, where I lived, to Kenya to visit my parents and I had a safe trip, and we had a 4 days reunion with my family. I was ready to return back to my husband.  On my way, as always, I visited a couple friends (The Kushites) who, after a long chat, prayed for my trip.   After entering a Taxi/ Matatu (public transportation) 14 Sitter, I found myself interceding and pleading for safety in prayer to God.  There was only one seat left behind, and since I was in a hurry, I agreed to sit behind with two old men. I started looking for a safety belt and was convinced I needed to tighten one. (Mind you, this wasn't a norm th