Skip to main content

GILLY DE TSONI (my teen nick name) THE TEEN MEETS JESUS

I was very skeptical about Christianity, especially that I could be born again.
I was brought up in a local Anglican church that according to me did not necessarily embrace salvation by then. I was comfortable there because there was no prompting or challenge for me to think about my inner life. In my first high school, I had come close to receiving Jesus through my talents. The Christian group asked me to lead worship as a nonbeliever since I had a great voice (that was risky I guess), so I always led worship and walked out immediately after that. One day the preacher decided he needed us around and that's how the gospel was presented to me and for the first time, I felt something shaken in my inside. Remember I was a known naughty girl so the whole school was eyes on me and surely it was the toughest 2 months I lived as I played all kinds of games.
 I moved to a new school and this was a turn around for me as I encountered Jesus, one, as I watched the life of one Nicoleta who I admired so much as she lived out her Christian life and second as I attended a service one day the preacher presented the gospel "while we were still sinners Christ died for us". It came fresh and I was sure to recommit my life to Jesus and my journey began as I was disciplined my Nicoleta who we were Harambe dormitory prefects together. I became active in my Christian union, all over sudden my; leadership gifts started reshaping because I believe I had them but I was manifesting in a different kingdom under different lordship.
Receiving Jesus was the most transforming thing I have ever experienced in my life, It brought with it physical, spiritual, emotional healing for me. I totally did a 360% turn, I had been justified now, I could not wrap the thought around the fact that I have been considered as if I did not sin now and I have been righteous by Grace through faith in Jesus' name.  I, therefore, engaged on my sanctification process as I was helped to understand that I had some growing to do to become like Christ, very aware of my more than spiritual needs like  emotional needs that needed to be transformed I was keen on my Christian disciplines and one person stands out in teaching me those, Daddie (Pst John Simba). He was very keen on spiritual formation and walked with me through exposing areas that needed to be touched by the Lord that were at my core.
One of the very significant sacraments/practice was my baptism by immersion, I had been baptized as a child but when I became a born again Christian I was convinced that I needed to be baptized and make a public declaration of my faith. For the first time, I felt the presence of the Lord surely upon my life and got so much courage to face my teenage with a difference.
I was involved in ministry in my local church (Full gospel church-Karurumo) then I moved to the nearby town as my mum decided that I needed to work before joining college. She got me a job as a shop attendant and rented a house for me and I had to pay my rent bills and buy food but I knew if I am broke I can call my mother and she would send money. I keep wondering how that was a risk for my mum to release me at that age to live alone but I guess she was led by the Lord.  It was this year that I grew so much in my faith, I led worship in the new church (Triumph Church Embu)  preached in the lunch hours and at this point thankful for Pastor James Nthiga who trusted me and allowed me to practice on his pulpit. My house was a prayer room, I prayed and fasted and had all kind of Christian girls in my house as we grew together. I also learned a lot of hard work and planning especially from my then employees Kush and Maggie that turned out to be my best friends in life and we are involved in each other's life up to now.
They gave me value for life by including me in their family sort of and encouraged me to work hard.
 I knew I desired to go to college and be able to get a career and pressure was mounting now from my mother who wanted me to be a nurse like her, but deep down in heart I didn't know what I wanted to be but  I had met Jesus and I wanted him to influence who I was becoming so I spent time surely praying and releasing my choices to him and surely I didn't end up in a nursing school despite the lots of efforts form my Mother.
I ended up in a rare college colled Cooperative College of Kenya where I was going to do a diploma in Cooperative management for two and a half years.
This is where I needed to be because through this I was exposed to FOCUS (K) since I immediately became a Christian union student leader in my first year. my campus staff Peter Oyugi and the wife Cecilia walked patiently with me in my leadership journey and slowly I started encountering lots of discipleship and spiritual formation and this redefined a lot of what I had believed in. Core areas of my faith and believe were touched and I started rethinking my future. I became a leader of the Regional student's committee (R-SEC) as well as represented the students at the national level as the board( NASEC).

 It was at a student's conference (Commission 05) that the redirection happened when I heard the term Missions and I was sure I knew what I wanted to do "MISSIONS". How, where, when I didn't know.
A lot of this season of my journey was characterized by lots of doing and activities and less of being.
I was on my final year in college and prayerfully with my best friend then Clemence who is even now involved in my life, I discerned a calling of God in my life at "Nordic hall" where we prayed every morning for our lives including our marriage lives. So I graduate with good grades and FOCUS immediately asks if I could consider 1 Year as a student worker and since I was sure I was called but I didn't know what I was supposed to do I felt like that was something I could embark on as I searched the will of God.
At this point, I had been dating a pastor who I had to leave because he was seemingly holding a different set of values and I went through that loss peacefully. I also had to lose a job(Banking job)  that I was supposed to sign a contract in the same month I am considering to join Focus. It may look light now but then I felt like I was losing everything I had known and was choosing a weird path. Too much loss.

So at this point am a young adult now and I am a student worker working in Eldoret (Moi university Town and Chepkoilel Campus) where I was disciplined and training leaders in the Christian union. STEM Staff. At this point, my story has a taste because of Jesus.
Find out what happens on my new path...... Gillian Edube is released-coming up next.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is with you Behind the boat? When its mid life is it Crisis time?

Does life really begin at 40?   If So, what does one do in  their first 39 years?  Are they just rehearsing?  What about the midlife crisis?  Does it exist, and if it does, is it only for women, just men, and at what exact age does it happen? Now that it is only a few days before I turn 40 years old, join me as I reflect more on it. Elliott Jacques, who introduced the term mid-life crisis, defines it as to " pause from actively pursuing one's goals and review their achievements, take stock of what they have and have not yet accomplished, at times taking drastic measures to fulfill their dreams." He further argues that critical phases characterize the change of point periods of rapid transitions in individuals' development. What is wrong with pausing, I wonder? My Crisis: behind the boat with storms.  At around 35years, a transition begins to happen to individuals termed as a midlife crisis. He admits that the time will vary, though, among individuals. The cris

How God Rescued Me: I am surely on Assignment By and With Him.

Blogged 10 years ago!! New pics just!! 12 YEARS AGO NOW SINCE GOD SAVED ME FROM A FATAL ACCIDENT. WATCHED 13 PERISH AS I GOT RESCUED.  I will not forget the faithfulness of the Lord. I will narrate this to generations and generations, and I will praise Him for He is mighty to save. Why do I say that? It's now 12 years this month since this happened. I traveled from Uganda, where I lived, to Kenya to visit my parents and I had a safe trip, and we had a 4 days reunion with my family. I was ready to return back to my husband.  On my way, as always, I visited a couple friends (The Kushites) who, after a long chat, prayed for my trip.   After entering a Taxi/ Matatu (public transportation) 14 Sitter, I found myself interceding and pleading for safety in prayer to God.  There was only one seat left behind, and since I was in a hurry, I agreed to sit behind with two old men. I started looking for a safety belt and was convinced I needed to tighten one. (Mind you, this wasn't a norm th

LOVE IMMIGRANTS -CROSS-CULTURAL MARRIAGE.

“Am not Right; you are not wrong” we are just different. “Will you marry me?” after prayer and thoughts, my answer is Yes. While we are in Norway, Africa is just ‘one country,’ and Uganda and Kenya are ‘neighboring districts.’ As we leave Europe, we are sure we want to try this, and our song is “No mountain is too high, no valley too low.” On reaching Kenya, Africa's reality as a continent meets me, and Uganda as a neighboring country mile apart hits me. Anyway, we had promised each other that if love can stand the distance, we will go for it. Long-distance Dating I receive a phone call +256, and it's my Boyfriend but guess what, as soon as we talk for a few minutes, it's off. Ohhh, we are calling across networks in different countries; it’s an international call! Oops. Well, MTN had an offer of 99%, but you could only get it at that price from 2.00-4.00 am. So, change of sleeping system everyday date with my Ugandan boyfriend 3.00-4.30 am. We must go to work b